Let's Rummage

Sunday 11 May 2014

Stinky Town Curry can label - another sketch

I was searching through my illustration books last week for some ideas, when I settled upon an old advertisement by Maxfield Parrish - one of The American Golden Age illustrators. I've been a big fan of his since I was at school. He's probably best known for his Edison Mazda lightbulb advertisement posters. I had Ecstasy on my bedroom wall - a painting of a young woman standing on a precipice with her diaphanous dress and hair blowing in the wind, rendered in Maxfield Parrish's trademark complementary colours.

Many of his other ads involve a threesome. An important subject in the centre flanked by a mirrored pair of supporting artists, a king and two pages, a cook and two lobsters. I shamelessly stole borrowed was inspired by this layout and produced this.

Stinky Town Curry label layout


I doctored it in PhotoShop to make it black and white as I drew it with my 'goto' blue pencil. You can probably see where I made a few alterations. The character on the right doesn't really have three arms.

I had thought of making the two characters either side of the bear into squirrels but then there's the problem with scale.

But it's all made up anyway Awa Rich, you can do what you like. Those lobsters in the Maxfield Parrish painting must be monsters! I wouldn't fancy meeting one of them on a dark night.

I know, but someone's bound to get all pedantic about it.

I'm pretty happy with this composition. The next step is to 'do it properly'.

No comments:

Post a Comment