Let's Rummage

Sunday 13 July 2014

Bindery Tales

My first attempt at making a Moleskine style journal has proved its worth. It has been thoroughly tested in the rough and tumble of the world and is now crammed to the endpapers with squiggly marks.

As it was my first attempt there was a fair bit wrong with it. I was in such a tearing hurry to finish it that I didn't notice that I'd glued the block in upside down. The bookmark ribbon is glued to the spine of the block before it is glued into the case. As you can see, its tail is sticking up not hanging down in the usual manner.

That's a unique feature Awa Rich!

Y'know, it was never a problem so you're probably right. Aynho, I intend to make the bookmarks a feature in future editions.

I'm cernly looking forrit to that future feature Awa Rich!

The hand made batik dyed Nepalese Lokta paper I used for the cover is lovely stuff but it goes a bit wooly - like felt - with the sort of rough handling a journal can get. It can be quite pleasant but I decided to seal the next batch with acrylic varnish.

The First Journal
I wasn't able to get a replacement ready for seamless continuation due to being away for a week looking after a black dog, some adjustments I wanted to make to the stitching frame and pricking cradle, and good old procrastination.

I'm currently using an old Moleskine that I started scratching my thoughts in a couple of years ago but abandoned due to lack of enthusiasm. Aynho, with renewed enthusiasm I will fill it before starting on a new one.

The new journals are A6 - the same as the first one - which is a nice handy size to keep in your bag for when inspiration glints.

The Second A6 journals

How often do you find yourself riding a train of thought (or the rail replacement bus service Awa Rich) connecting this, merging with that and going off down branch lines, when the clouds part, the sun shines through illuminating a sparkling nugget of wisdom. You stop and say to yourself "yes, of course!" 

You think "I'll remember that", certainly you will, it was such a lucent crystal of verity. Something distracts you and moments later all that remains is a memory of the elation that you held such a perfect thing, and the frustration that you can't remember it. The touch of a vanished hand.

Flinkin' 'eck Awa Rich, it's just a thought. No need to get so melodramatic. Pass me the spirit of hartshorn, I'm having a fit of the vapours!

Mythology is full of descriptions of this common phenomenon (On the Caledonian Canal Awa Rich?). The faerie gold that turns to dry leaves, the enchanted music who's melody you can't recall though you danced like one possessed. It seems perverse that our brains leave us with the memory that we held something precious but can't remember what it was.

Sometimes 're running the tape' can bring it back. Rewinding it backwards can help. Sometimes it pops back unbidden at a random future time. A handy notebook can relieve you from a lot of grief.

Update: The blue one has already found a new home in Ireland, with a friend of Marie's sister. I hope it serves her well.

I made the first journal with cheap photocopy paper which wasn't so good for writing with a fountain pen. It was too thin and absorbent. I used Conqueror 100 gsm wove vellum in the second pair, much better paper.

A5 Journals
The modifications I made to the stitching frame and pricking cradle are working well. It's surprising how a small change can make a big difference. I can prick the stitching holes quicker and more accurately and it's a lot easier to set up the tapes in the stitching frame now. There's still a bit tweaking to be done, but it feels more like a useable piece of equipment - rather than an experiment - now.

The two journals in the photo above are the same as the one I sent to Marie's sister. The blocks are made from 100 gsm Conqueror. The one on the left is covered with some heavy wrapping paper from the Victoria and Albert Museum in South Kensington, London. The one on the right is covered with hand made Nepalese Lokta paper from Shepherds/Faulkiners in Victoria.

I'm pretty pleased with them, they look, feel and smell lovely. The only slight problem is that I used A4 paper folded in half, so the grain runs across the page rather than parallel with the spine. I thought I'd try it to see if it made any difference as getting hold of good quality A3 paper isn't easy. Apart from feeling a bit stiff when you flip through the pages, the major problem is the way the block warps when the humidity is high. Aynho, it was just a test and I learned something from it. The next ones will benefit from the experience.

Standing on the shoulders of giants Awa Rich!

Quite so

No comments:

Post a Comment