Let's Rummage

Saturday 27 June 2015

Bounty of The Earth

It’s farmer’s market day at our local pub The Railway in Streatham. It’s quite a bijou affair but there’s always a good assortment of provender to be had.

Last time we asked Andy from Gill Wing Farm to bring us a box of whatever vegetables were available. I’ve seen some of the organic boxes that the big suppliers (you know who they are) offer, and the prices they charge, but Andy's offering was a huge baker’s tray creaking with scallions, beetroot - with the tops still on! - kale, chard, cucumbers, aubergines, courgettes and lettuce.

That supermarket is getting further and further away.



This is more like my weekly order from Dr. Gwen Egginton when I lived up in Bridlington. She’d call me on Thursday night to take my order, and it would arrive the next day by WWOOFer courier. Occasionally I’d cycle over to Nafferton and pick up my order in person. It was always a joy to stroll around her smallholding as Gwen shared the deep wisdom of her little ecosystem “that plant - Limnanthes douglasii - attracts hover flies which eat the aphids” and so forth.

I’m glad I ambled a while along the path of life in her company. The world could learn a lot from Gwen and would be a better place for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment