Let's Rummage

Tuesday 2 June 2015

Food Glorious Streatham

The Streatham Food Festival

gets under way on Thursday. Despite living here for over 7 years we haven’t been to this event. We’re often away when these local jukes are on but this weekend we’ll be around so I’d best get my eatin’ trousers on!

I was noodling around the website and drooling over all the restaurants we haven’t visited - although I was delighted to see that our local pub The Railway was first on the list of great places to eat in Streatham.

There were so many places I’ve seen from the top deck of the 159 bus but never thought to visit, but now I’ve read about them I have a long list for payday suppers (Lamberts again this Saturday).

I was sufficiently intrigued by The Elephant Bakehouse to pay them a visit today. Hidden away in a cobbled mews I didn’t know existed, off Streatham High Road and surrounded by car repair shops (or was it the same car repair shop that had spilled over into the adjacent buildings?). I love it when I find some new place near where I live that takes me off my beaten tracks.

I rolled up around 1 o’clock and spotted Nicole toing and froing between the bakehouse and a car. “Are you looking for some bread?” she asked. I must be in the right place. The half stable door was open with industrial flyscreen strips obscuring the inside. Duncan peered out between them. “Wotcha got?” I inquired. “Just some white sourdough, want to give it a try?” I certainly did. After a brief chat I parted with some cash and went walkabout to explore the surrounding streets. I was surprised by how many large Victorian houses had ‘Sold’ boards outside and evidence of refurbishment going on. Looks like the gentry are moving back to Streatham.

I wandered home across the common to try the bread with some Italian cheeses and salami I’d bought in Lidl yesterday. It was utterly lovely.

I hope the ancient curse I alluded to in the previous post doesn’t scupper them.

No comments:

Post a Comment